Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Modern Medicine

I have a bad attitude toward most of Modern Medicine. I explained my medical skepticism in a recent e-mail to a friend:


You need to know that I'm not just picking on modern medicine. These doubts are warranted for ANY heavily goverment-funded, regulated, and licensed industry. For example, ... now that I mention it, let's examine something very mundane, Consider the tow-truck or cab industry. Without the government in the way, any schmuck could put a sign on his car or truck and go out picking up people who need a ride or hauling someone's broke-down car somewhere. You could probably get a tow or cab ride for 10 bucks, anytime, anywhere.


If I'm towing my Mercedes, I would call the more expensive and reputable company. But for hauling my winter beater, I'd call the cheapest thing I could find. Same with cabs; If I'm out on a fancy date, I go with the better reputable cab company. If I need a ride to work, who cares? Instead of having a wide range of towing and cab services and innovations, we pretty much have the one-size-fits-all government-licensed cabs and tow-trucks. And only so many are allowed per city, so competition is almost non-existent. Innovation is almost non-existent, because competition is not there to make innovation necessary to cab and towing companies.


Same with the medical system. Very little competition. All possible free-market innovations are not even thought of. There's no incentive. And medical research is completely crippled and steered in the wrong directions by billions of dollars of government funding. So, medical science is probably as screwed up as climate science. Only, we have no way of knowing the actually truth, since the studies are usually government-funded. Because of Medicare, Medicaid, and sweet insurance plans for government employees, at least 3/4 of all medical care is directly paid for by government. Add that to medical regulations, medical subsidies, government's medical research funding, and the government-controlled medical schools.


Have I forgotten anything? You get the idea. The biggest things controlled and monopolized by government are ALL worthy of skepticism; public safety, medicine, public utilities, airlines, zoning, public parks, state-funded research, state grants, roads, space exploration, wars, courts, schools, . . . When you start thinking outside of the "only the government can do these things" box, incredible new ideas start springing to mind. And, if money could be made coming up with non-government solutions in these areas, the ideas would multiply exponentially.

No comments:

Post a Comment